Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: The Burning Bush
Week 3: The Plagues
Week 4: Passover
Week 5: The Crossing of the Sea
Week 6: Sinai
Week 7: The Book of the Covenant
Week 8: The Golden Calf
Book of the Covenant – Discussion Questions
- What is the Biblical attitude to slavery?
- Why does the Bible appeal so often to the death penalty?
- How should we understand the principle, an eye for an eye?
- What does the Bible say about abortion?
- Can we discern any principles underlying this collection of laws?
- Moses seems to be a constant intermediary between the people and God’s word. How does this pattern of communication relate to the ways we conceive of communication with God?
- What does it mean not to “swear falsely by the name of the Lord your God” (JPS) or to “make wrongful use of the name of the Lord” (NRSV)? What is this commandment asking us to commit to, and how should we uphold it today?
- These laws deal largely with how we relate to one another, what can they tell us about how to live in community? How does the text suggest we should treat those around us? Do your personal values line up with those laid out in the text?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion