Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Ancestry and Birth
Week 2: Sermon on the Mount
Week 3: Mighty Deeds
Week 4: Controversies and Parables
Week 5: Feeding the Hungry
Week 6: The Beloved Community
Week 7: Stories of the End
Week 8: Death and Resurrection
Sermon on the Mount – Additional Resources
- L. Allen, “The Sermon on the Mount in the History of the Church,” RevExp 89 (1992): 245-62.
- Dale C. Allison, The Sermon on the Mount: Inspiring the Moral Imagination, Companions to the New Testament (New York: Herder and Herder, 1999), 1-40.
- Jerome Neyrey, “Vacating the Playing Field,” Honor and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1998), 212-28.
- Francois P. Viljoen, “Jesus’ Teaching on the ‘Torah’ in the Sermon on the Mount,” Neotestamentica 40 (2006): 135-155
Articles: (click to view)
- “The Sermon on the Mount and Jesus as the New David” by Patrick Schreiner
- “The Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-7)” by Dale C. Allison, Jr.
Sermons: (click to view)
- “You Already Are” from First Baptist Church in Lawrence, KS
- “Dangerous Words: A Sermon on Matthew 5:38-48” by Jennifer Sanders
Art: (click to view)
- “The Sermon on the Mount” by Jesus Mafa, from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN
- “The Sermon on the Mount” by James Tissot
- “Sermon on the Mount” by Joseph Chaumet
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion