Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Ancestry and Birth
Week 2: Sermon on the Mount
Week 3: Mighty Deeds
Week 4: Controversies and Parables
Week 5: Feeding the Hungry
Week 6: The Beloved Community
Week 7: Stories of the End
Week 8: Death and Resurrection
Sermon on the Mount – Discussion Questions
- What is the force of the imagery that appears throughout the Sermon? Does it reinforce or distract from the ethical teaching?
- Of the law and prophets, Jesus says, “I have come not to abolish but to fulfill” (5:17b). How do you understand the relationship of Jesus’ teachings in Matthew to the ethical teachings found in the Old Testament?
- What is the image of Jesus that emerges from this summary of his teaching?
- What are the fundamental values or virtues that you take from the Sermon on the Mount?
- Should we look for ourselves in the Beatitudes (5:1-11)? Is there a particular category of the “blessed” with which you identify?
- What are the most challenging teachings of Jesus in the Sermon?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion