Week 1: What are the Psalms?
Week 2: Psalms of Complaint
Week 3: Hymns
Week 4: Royal Psalms
Week 5: Wisdom Psalms
Week 6: The Human Condition
Week 7: The Character of God
Week 8: The Psalms of Poetry
Human Condition – Discussion Questions
- What is Sheol? What happens to people after death, according to the Psalms?
- Is there any possibility for a beatific afterlife in the Psalms?
- What do the psalms say about the value of human life? How does this compare with the teachings in, for example, the Book of Genesis?
- Many of the psalms express a desire to be closer to God. When the Temple existed in Jerusalem, that was a place people could go. Do you have places where you go specifically to be close to God?
- Does the threat of death give life more meaning? What does the psalmist say about this?
- Psalms often express a deep trust in God’s. What effect does it have on us to read such expressions, either aloud in worship or to ourselves in prayer?