Skip to content
Tamar – Discussion Questions
- What do the two Tamars have in common? Is there a limit to what the name connection can tell us?
- Why are Judah’s relations with a sex worker acceptable, but Tamar being a sex worker is an offense that, at first, deserves death?
- Why does Tamar appear in Matthew’s genealogy for Jesus? What purpose do she and the three other women serve in that passage?
- Within her own context in Genesis, what were Tamar’s other options? Did she make the right choice?
- Genesis 38 implies that God, being displeased with two young men, kills them both. In 2 Samuel 13, a brother rapes his sister. How should we, as modern readers, interpret passages like this?
- After the deaths of Er and Onan, where do you see God in the story of Tamar in Genesis 38, if anywhere?