Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Ancestry and Birth
Week 2: Sermon on the Mount
Week 3: Mighty Deeds
Week 4: Controversies and Parables
Week 5: Feeding the Hungry
Week 6: The Beloved Community
Week 7: Stories of the End
Week 8: Death and Resurrection
Mighty Deeds – Additional Resources
- Carl Holladay, “Jesus’ Ministry in Galilee in Matthew 8-10,” Gospel images of Jesus Christ in church tradition and in biblical scholarship: Fifth International East-West Symposium of New Testament Scholars, Minsk, September 2 to 9, 2010 (Tubingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2012), 337-347.
- Patricia Sharbaugh, “The New Moses and the Wisdom of God: A Convergence of Themes in Matthew 11:25–30” in Horizons 40 (2013): 199-217.
- Joel Willitts, “Matthew’s Messianic Shepherd-king: In search of “the lost sheep of the house of Israel” in HTS Teologiese Studies 63 (2007): 365-382.
Articles: (click to view)
- “My daughter has a disability. I don’t want Jesus to ‘fix’ her.” by Heather Kirn Lanier
- “divine playfulness in Jesus’s interaction with the Canaanite woman” by Douglas Galbi
Art: (click to view)
- “Jesus Heals the Blind and Lame on the Mountain” by James Tissot
- “The Blind and Mute Man Possessed by Devils” by James Tissot
- “Jesus Cures Two Blind Men” at the Cathedral of the Assumption, Sicily, photo by Richard Stracke
- “Christ Asleep during the Tempest” by Eugène Delacroix
- “Touching the Men of the Garment” by William Hamilton in The Macklin Bible from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN
- “Jesus welcomes the children” by Jesus Mafa from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion