Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Ancestry and Birth
Week 2: Sermon on the Mount
Week 3: Mighty Deeds
Week 4: Controversies and Parables
Week 5: Feeding the Hungry
Week 6: The Beloved Community
Week 7: Stories of the End
Week 8: Death and Resurrection
Feeding the Hungry – Additional Resources
- Jeannine K. Brown, “The rhetoric of hearing: the use of the Isaianic hearing motif in Matthew 11:2-16:20,” Built upon the rock: studies in the Gospel of Matthew (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008), 248-269.
- Tucker S. Ferda, “The Seventy Faces of Peter’s Confession: Matt. 16:16-17 in the History of Interpretation,” in Biblical Interpretation 20 (2012): 421-457.
- Paul A. Tanner, “The Cost of Discipleship: Losing One’s Life for Jesus’ Sake,” in Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 56 (2013): 43-61.
Sermons: (click to view)
- “Take Up Your Cross, the Savior Said…” by Shannon J. Kershner
- “The Gradual Overcoming of Racism, even in Jesus” by Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM
- “Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus Carry the Cross” by Heidi Thorsen Oxford
- “Holding 1000 slippery fish” by The Rev. Matt Fitzgerald
- “Matthew 15:21-28 – Standing against racism and xenophobia” from St. Andrew’s, Enfield, England
Art: (click to view)
- “Christ of the Miracle of Loaves and Fish” by Watanabe Sadao
- “Christ and the Canaanite Woman” by Giovan Gioseffo dal Sole
- “Jesus multiplies the loaves and fish” by Jesus Mafa from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion