Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Ancestry and Birth
Week 2: Sermon on the Mount
Week 3: Mighty Deeds
Week 4: Controversies and Parables
Week 5: Feeding the Hungry
Week 6: The Beloved Community
Week 7: Stories of the End
Week 8: Death and Resurrection
Controversies and Parables – Discussion Questions
- The notion that Jesus was a source of controversy runs through these chapters. What were the major reasons, as Matthew understands them, for that situation?
- What is the author of Matthew’s role in framing the story of Jesus and his teachings? What are his major concerns? Are you in sympathy with them?
- Why does Matthew emphasize the controversy surrounding Jesus and his activities? How is this emphasis meant to affect our interpretation of Jesus’ character?
- Jesus compares his own activity to that of a burglar and makes comparisons that don’t always make edifying points. How provocative do you find the sayings of Jesus? How do these teachings challenge contemporary Christians?
- How have you come to understand the parables of Jesus? Do you read them in more than one way? Do you have a favorite?
- Jesus takes on the role of provoking controversy throughout the Gospel of Matthew. How should modern Christians understand our role in society?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion