Skip to content
Birth of the Anointed One – Discussion Questions
- How do the Magnificat and Benedictus relate to one another? Do they present a unified image of the significance of the births of the two boys?
- What are the major claims these early chapters make about Jesus, both in actions and dialogue?
- What are the major differences between Luke and the other account of the birth of Jesus in the Gospel according to Matthew?
- The stated audience for the Gospel of Luke is Theophilus. Do you think Theophilus is a specific person, perhaps the patron of Luke’s writing, or an imagined ideal reader? Does this affect the way we should read Luke’s gospel?
- What do you make of the violent imagery of the Magnificat? What does it mean for God to bring down the “mighty” from their thrones?
- Reflect on the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus. Why is this such an important place for Luke to begin his story?