1. What do you make of the setting of the dialogue between Jesus and
2. Is there any significance to the description of Nicodemus as a teacher of Israel?
3. Where do the breaks in the chapter occur? When do we begin to hear the voice of the narrator?
4. What does the image of the “son of Man” likened to the serpent on the staff of Moses convey?
1. What is the role of misunderstanding between Jesus and Nicodemus?
2. What is the relationship between “water” and “spirit” in the discourse? How do these terms relate to other treatments of “water” and “spirit” in the gospel?