Introduction to the Course
Week 1: Human Problem, Divine Solution
Week 2: Faith's Poster Boy
Week 3: Living in Hope
Week 4: New Lord, New Life
Week 5: From Flesh to Spirit
Week 6: History Matters!
Week 7: Transformed Community
Week 8: Generous Welcome
From Flesh to Spirit – Discussion Questions
Questions for Reading:
1. Are the literary allusions in Romans 7 to scripture and ancient myth clear?
2. How effective is Paul’s use of the first person, “I” in chapter 7? Does it matter that when he reaches chapter 8, he refers always to “we” instead?
Questions for Reflection:
1. While Paul clearly meant for Romans 7:7-25 to describe a past reality, before the onset of faith (“while we were in the flesh” in 7:5), many Christian readers through the ages have recognized their own experience in those words. E.g., “the good that I wish I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not wish (7:19).” Do you experience Christian life more in a Romans 7 or a Romans 8 way?
2. Have you ever experienced the Spirit doing what Paul gives it credit for in chapter 8: guiding your everyday life (8:4)? helping you pray (8:26)?
3. What role does “hope” of an afterlife with God play in your Christian belief and practice? Important? Not so much? Sometimes yes, sometimes no?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion