Week 1: What are the Psalms?
Week 2: Psalms of Complaint
Week 3: Hymns
Week 4: Royal Psalms
Week 5: Wisdom Psalms
Week 6: The Human Condition
Week 7: The Character of God
Week 8: The Psalms of Poetry
What are the Psalms? Discussion Questions
- How does the shape of the book of Psalms influence how we approach and read it?
- Does the cultic use of the psalms in Israel’s history have any relationship to our own prayer practices?
- Some psalms are used today for specific purposes. For example, Psalm 23 is frequently used at Christian funerals. How is this use of Psalms in liturgy like, or unlike, the way ancient Israelites may have used them?
- Does it matter to you whether David authored all of the psalms? Why or why not?
- Do you have a favorite psalm?
- The psalms are understood to be particularly human, not of divine origin. How does this affect our understanding or use of them in our lives?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion