Skip to content
The Character of God – Discussion Questions
- What are the main characteristics ascribed to God in the Psalms? Do any of the characteristics contradict each other?
- What can we tell about the psalmist(s) from their descriptions of God?
- Why is hatred portrayed as a virtue in the psalms?
- How do you understand the parts of the psalms that attribute to God characteristics we tend to think of as negative (e.g. vengefulness, vindictiveness)?
- Can we, as the psalms do, ask God to destroy our enemies? How does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to turn the other cheek (Matthew 5:39)?
- Should we read the psalms as expressions of human feelings or as moral instruction? Are these two readings mutually exclusive?