Week 1: What are the Psalms?
Week 2: Psalms of Complaint
Week 3: Hymns
Week 4: Royal Psalms
Week 5: Wisdom Psalms
Week 6: The Human Condition
Week 7: The Character of God
Week 8: The Psalms of Poetry
Hymns – Discussion Questions
- What are the identifying aspects of the hymns of praise?
- How do the hymn psalms describe the breadth of God’s earthly power?
- Dr. Collins says that the hymns don’t teach us about the “God of history” but about the “God of creation.” What is the difference between these characterizations?
- In what situations, ancient or contemporary, might we want a hymn to God’s power?
- To what extent does the image of God as king resonate today? How might it have changed since these psalms were written? Does it present any problems?
- In modern times, many of us are more removed from nature than the ancient Israelites would have been. Reliable climate control and modern transportation mean that storms, for example, are not as dramatic. Are the images of God controlling nature less powerful than they used to be?
Create an account to enroll in our free courses, track your progress and take part in the discussion